Monday, November 12, 2012

My New Method: Proof of Progress

So as I ponder what direction to go with my blog, I can't help but reflect on the countless prayers I have had with my Heavenly Father, practically begging him to help me get 'unstuck'.  What I mean by "stuck" is the fact that progress and me don't seem to get along very well. I tend to wish and dream about what I want to do, but doing it is quite another story.  So back to my prayers. I couldn't tell you how many times I have been on my knees crying to God to help me move forward in my life. To accomplish the countless (no literally) goals I have.

Just as the nature of our faithful Father in heaven, he always answered, and the answer was always the same. Quit trying to do 500 things at once. Write your goals down. Pick one and do it. THEN try something else. And I feel peace for a few hours, maybe even a few days. Then I get impatient that more things are getting accomplished that I want. I think to myself "well, I can handle two goals. I mean, they're just little ones". Then I take on another goal or two and get overwhelmed and quit. Ugh. I get so envious of those people who can just want to do something and do it. What super powers do they have and where can I get that?!  Sadly, here I still trying to form many of the same habits that I have been trying to form from 5 years ago. Again, literally.

Realistically, there has been SOME progress. I now have my Associates degree, and I'm half way to my Bachelors. I have really expanded my talents at cooking. I cook a lot, and I'm pretty good at it. This is something you will probably see me post a lot about.

BUT (and there is always a but, right?) it's never enough to me. I always look at what's left to do instead of what's done.  And there is many things left to do. So. Many. Goals!  Without keeping track of them and what I've done, it's really hard to define progress.  Which takes me back to my prayers...pick a goal. Write it down. And do it. Then I can check the block. Done. Goal accomplished. Progress made.

Nothing is more motivating than that right? That gratifying feeling of actually doing something challenging? But it's so easy to forget. But not any more, because NOW I will have written visible proof of progress. No more negativity. When I feeling discouraged and my failed perfectionism gets me down, I can reflect on my many posts here and see how far I've really come. And I am a firm believer that weaknesses can become strengthens so this right here, my readers, may be the beginning of something very big in my life.  So what's next? Goals, so stay tuned. 

2 comments:

  1. Exactly! look how far you've come with only 2 blog entries. See how cool this is? I had a talk with HF on the way to church yesterday. Prayer is an interesting topic. I don't get your kind of answers I fear. I think I'm asking with generosity but maybe I'm being selfish. so yesterday I decided that for awhile I won't ask...I'll just be grateful. Maybe I need to sort myself out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, bare with me here! Look down at the floor. Now look at the ceiling. Can you see the floor anymore? (That is when you respond, nope!) What we focus on expands. I love that your addressing this in your blog. What a great idea to record all the positive things you've accomplished so you will no longer look at the floor and focus on what you still have left to do. I look forward to following it :)

    ReplyDelete